Jen Minkman - YA Paranormal and Dystopian Author: A visit to the setting of my Dartmoor Chronicles!

donderdag 7 januari 2016

A visit to the setting of my Dartmoor Chronicles!

It's been a while since I took the time to post here about my 'book location travels', but I actually visited some places from my latest book this very summer! Some of these towns and locations were already mentioned in The Deep (Book 3 of the Island series), but in Beyond the Fence, the first installment of the Dartmoor Chronicles, we get to see much more of Dartmoor, the region under President Jacob's rule.


This is the entrance to Dartmoor Prison. In my book, this is the city gate - the survivors of the Great Wars started a new community here, within the walls of an old prison surrounded by wild moorland.


This is what it looks like from above. A true walled city n modern times (and future times, in the Dartmoor Chronicles!)



Just to give you an idea of how desolate the land around 'Dartmoor City' looks - here are some pictures of me and my family doing a hike across Dartmoor! Also: sheep. Sheep are everywhere!



Me in Dunsford, the 'border town' where Sarah crosses the fence with Jinn. In my book it's a lot less quiet here!


The 'fence' running through the town. (just a school fence IRL!)  ... and the main street of Dunsford.



And this is the blue building in Moretonhampstead where I imagined the main library to be.
I think the blue looks quite dashing!


The monument for the fallen of the 'Wars of Yore' in Moretonhampstead.


And that's it for now! The next book in this series will take place on Tresco, Lundy and Exmoor. I don't have any plans to visit those places anytime soon, but if I do, I'll be sure to post it here :)







1 opmerking:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is crazy! One of my books is set right there! I'm assuming that is Saint Michael's church? I have a scene right there where some of the prisoners escape :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen